Thursday, July 8, 2010

So Far Gone

I don’t know what happened to LeBron James. I wrote a couple weeks ago that if LeBron were to leave Cleveland he would be hated by an entire city and maybe LeBron doesn’t have the heart to do that to his hometown. But if LeBron chooses a team besides Cleveland, on his hour-long special that will be broadcast on ESPN tonight, then I was 100 percent wrong about the Akron Hammer.

I’ve been a LeBron supporter since his first game in a Cavaliers jersey, when he almost recorded a triple-double against the Sacremento Kings, though in a losing effort. LeBron was my Michael Jordan. I saw LeBron do things that I had never witnessed on a basketball court ever. I would defend LeBron to the death, but I don’t think I can do that anymore. Not after this offseason.

I don’t think LeBron is the blame for all the hoopla and buffoonery caused by his free-agency, but he has brought it upon himself. I used to wonder how people could hate LeBron, and in the beginning it was hard to. He lived up to all the hype and then some, but now in the past two summers LeBron’s approval has dropped significantly. From the handshake fiasco to the egotistical shirts to the rumored free-agency tour – that was either cancelled or false to begin with – to the hour-long special airing on ESPN tonight.

Unequivocally, I don’t think he should have this TV special. I don’t care that the money is going to the Boys and Girls Club of America. The only way this special could help his reputation is if he re-signed with the Cavs. Then, for the rest of the duration of the special, he basically royally kissed Cleveland’s ass.

For the past couple of days, I’ve been contemplating how I would feel about this moment. Being a die-hard LeBron fan, I wondered if I could remain that after this moment. Can I forgive LeBron for all of the foolishness caused by this nonsense? I don’t know. I want to. I just can’t imagine living in a world where I’m not a LeBron James fan. And if I’m not a LeBron James fan, am I still a fan of the NBA? I’m in a dark place, as far as fandom goes.

One thing I will say is that LeBron no longer holds the undying affection he received from the media in years past – except for Skip Bayless, who has always been a LeBron-detractor.

Whatever the case may be, I truly wonder if LeBron is aware of the ramifications of his ultimate decision. And only time will tell if that is true.

I do believe that if LeBron were to sign a six-year contract to stay with Cleveland, that he would be able to win a championship, but it would probably be only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment