Thursday, July 1, 2010

Second Times a Charm

About a decade ago, I was reading a lot of Harry Potter, getting A’s and B’s on my report cards and watching an ungodly amount of MTV. And if I was watching MTV, I was most definitely watching the Real World. Well at the ripe age of 21, I’m still reading a lot of Harry Potter – not as much since the final book in the series was released almost three years ago – I’m still a nerd, just a tad bit cooler, and I don’t watch an ungodly amount MTV. Actually, I don’t watch much of MTV at all. But, I do still have a sweet spot for the Real World and after 10 years RW is back in New Orleans.

This year’s group will have to do a lot to top the New Orleans cast of old. Off the top of my head I can name Julie the precocious Mormon, Melissa the crazy chick with the glasses, Jamie the quiet heartthrob (pause), David the ladies man and singer – “Come On, Be My Baby Tonight” is classic – and Matt the born-again Christian. That’s five out of seven.

Well this year’s cast seems to have some potential. First off we have Preston the black gay guy – who bears a resemblance to Boston Celtic guard Rajon Rondo, and is from Boston, incidentally – Ryan the hyperactive and straight hairdresser, McKenzie the ditzy blonde, Knight the former pill addict, Eric the aspiring comedian, Sahar the Muslim girl from Michigan, Jemmye the amorous country darling and Ashlee the former college basketball player.

After viewing the first episode of the season here’s how the cast rates on my likability scale of 1-5 (5 being the best, 1 being the worst).

Preston – 4

Ryan – 1

McKenzie – 3

Knight – 4

Eric - 4

Sahar - 3

Jemmye – 5 (gotta love those amorous country darlings)

Ashlee – 4

If you watch the show and don’t agree with my rating of Ryan you may need mental help. But, if you don’t watch the show, then let me describe Ryan in two words. Douche bag – not a word I use often, but is the best description for this guy. It’s the first episode and all the drama in the house can be traced back to Ryan. Not a good sign, if you ask me. Overall, I liked the cast. I see Jemmye providing some great reality TV moments and most of the other castmates doing their part as well. They're in friggin’ New Orleans, how can it not be great? From what I hear, it was taped during the New Orleans Saints’ championship run, which means debauchery galore is in our future.

I can’t wait.

Expect weekly updates on RW: New Orleans throughout the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment