Sunday, May 30, 2010

When They Reminisce Over You

With tomorrow being Memorial's Day, this will be the second holiday that I've spent away from my family and it only enhances the loneliness I sometimes feel in Columbus. Though it has been an adjustment being away from pretty much every familiar face I’ve grown accustomed to over the past couple of years, I know that the decision I made to move up here is for the best.

Or at least I hope.

I talked to my mama yesterday and she had wondered whether I was coming home for Memorial’s Day and while I would love to, it’s probably not in my best interest to drive back to Dayton, when I plan on coming home this upcoming Friday. As of now, I stand to spend Memorial’s Day alone, which is kind of sad, but I imagine that I’m not the only person in the world feeling this way.

My friend named Will, who is currently in the U.S. Marine Corps, is probably experiencing what I’m going through and has been for the past three years. Last time I talked to him he was in Nevada, so hopefully everything is well with him. It’s shocking to think that the past few years have went by so fast and now, like Will, I’m away from my family – completely on my own.

At times, I feel weak for missing people. I spend a lot of time either by myself or lost in my thoughts and though I’m optimistic about how my life will turn out, I can’t help but not hear the voices of doubt that reside in my head. I try to think of the positive things that may lie ahead, but if I do I’ll just daydream about the future instead of focusing on what’s more important.

My present.

Life could be worse, but it’s hard to separate yourself from your own feelings and thoughts. I guess that I should use Will as an example, because he’s been traveling the country, having to adjust to whatever new place he’s sent to and he’s managed to persevere. Hopefully I can too.

To all those soldiers representing our country, I can’t say enough how much I take for granted what you do to protect people like myself. I wish you peace and happiness in your journeys.

Happy Memorial’s Day.

Posts slated for this week: A recap of my OSU orientation and my opinion on the Summer of the King aka LeBronamania

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you back in the groove of things.

    If it's any consolation, I have to work on Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete